The Recreational Therapy Intern is responsible for assisting in all aspects of Recreational Therapy programming and administration. The intern will be supervised at all times by a licensed and Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist and will perform a variety of job tasks required by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification. Recreational Therapy Interns strive to build a strong therapeutic alliance with clients through compassion, empathy, and feedback as necessary.
1. Provide intern with hands-on training and experience in Recreational Therapy interventions specifically targeted to enhance the lives of clients with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders.
2. Provide intern with professional opportunities to observe and participate in all aspects of therapeutic recreational programming, including but not limited to: assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation, documentation, therapeutic relationships, clinical team collaboration, and community integration.
3. Provide intern with the opportunity to observe and participate in all aspects of Recreational Therapy department management, including budgeting, facility and gear maintenance, program development, public relations, and planning and organization of client and alumni special events.
4. Prepare intern for the National Council for Therapeutic RecreationalCertification (NCTRC) exam.
5. Provide intern with opportunities for personal development and growth along with constant access to state-licensed (TRS) and nationally-certified (CTRS) Recreational Therapist for direction, feedback, supervision, and instruction.
o Most meals are provided while intern is working
o Access to recreation center and gym facilities
o Hands-on training in experiential therapy, yoga and meditation, adventure therapy, and community integration
o Substance abuse and mental health disorder training from many highly-experienced professionals in the field
|Company / Organization Name:||Wasatch Crest Treatment Services|
|Position Title:||RT Intern|
|Minimum Requirements||The following items are required in order to be considered as a Recreational Therapy intern at Wasatch Crest:
o Ability to instruct or lead individuals and/or groups in both indoor and outdoor recreational interventions and activities
o Ability to be present every day of scheduled internship – no vacations
o Good physical condition – able to lift, carry, push, or pull up to approximately 30 pounds. Bending, twisting, kneeling, stooping, and crouching on occasion.
o Ability to multitask, be a team player, adapt well to change, and maintain a calm and positive attitude
o Ability to interact in a residential environment while maintaining appropriate boundaries
o Knowledge of evidence-based treatment modalities
o Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule that may change week to week based on programming offered
o Completed all required classes for graduation
o Ability to pass a drug screen and background check
o Must have TB screen within the last year or able to get one within 14 days of hire
o Current First Aid and CPR certification
o Current Food Handler’s Permit
o Current state driver’s license
|Contact Name:||Adelinn Cook, TRS, CTRS|
|Application Instructions||Please send the following items to email@example.com:
1. Cover letter, including:
a. Preferred start date
b. Which university are you attending?
c. What is your field of study?
d. What is your anticipated graduation date?
e. Who is your internship supervisor? Include their contact information.
f. How did you hear about the internship?
g. Why are you interested in an internship in the field of substance abuse / mental health?
h. Anything else you think we need to know about you.
2. Current resume:
3. Two professional letters of recommendation. Please have the professional send signed letters to Wasatch Crest or email letters directly to Adelinn.
4. Official transcripts to verify the completed coursework.
5. Provide a class schedule or some other indication of classes you are currently enrolled in that include required coursework.
6. A copy of your university’s Internship Course Description including the following:
7. Any additional forms required by the university in order to approve the internship site.
|Location:||Heber City, UT|