This position is responsible for planning and implementing community-based challenge course groups.
We’re adding additional Facilitators and Recreational Therapists to our Ropes Challenge Course team at UNI, and we’re seeking outgoing individuals with experience in facilitating group activities (e.g. coaching, summer camps, ski instructors, counselors) to join our awesome team!
Experience directly in Ropes is not required.
R ecreation: An opportunity to have fun!
O bservation: Learn about yourself and others.
P roblem Solving: Demonstrate your skills.
E xperiential Education: Learn by doing.
S elf Esteem: Feel great about yourself!
The UNI ROPES Challenge Course is an incredible resource for UNI patients, and community groups, teams, programs, and organizations. Our beautiful challenge course is one of the largest courses in the state. (more information is found here: uofuhealth.org/ropes).
Training is one week long in May, from 5/13/19 – 5/17/19, and you will receive full certification as a level 1 challenge course facilitator from ABEE (more information on ABEE is found here: abeeinc.com).
PRN/part-time shifts and hours may vary from week to week, depending on classes and schedules. Facilitators can expect to work up to an average of 15-25 hours per week during the spring/summer/fall.
February 2019: Start to accept applications.
March 2019: Interviews will begin.
April 1st-15th, 2019: Offers will go out and Start Dates will begin.
May 6th, 2019: Last Official Start Date to complete UofU Health Orientation.
May 13th-17th, 2019: Required Training will take place.
As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
- Facilitates community groups on the challenge course.
- Ensures overall physical, emotional health and safety of group members while on course.
- Introduces customers to the community program and ensures necessary health and information forms are complete.
- Assembles and disassembles challenge course equipment. Inspects and maintains equipment.
- Plans the sequence of provided programs and facilitates activities to meet group goals.
- Attends challenge course technical trainings and meetings.
- Documents, reports and evaluates equipment, challenge course use and related incidents.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Ability to make decisions related to the participant’s emotional, physical health and safety issues involving equipment and the course.
- Must possess the skills to handle emergency situations in a calm and competent manner.
- Must demonstrate understanding of group process, group stages and group facilitation skills.
- One year of previous challenge course facilitator experience or equivalency.
- Successful completion of the University Neuropsychiatric Institute (UNI) R.O.P.E.S. training requirements.
- Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card through American Heart Association or obtain within one month of hire.
* Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social and Behavioral Science, Human Services or related field.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This position involves intermediate work that may exert up to 50 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling or otherwise moving objects while providing patient care to those with psychiatric conditions.
Carrying, Climbing, Color Determination, Crawling, Far Vision, Lifting, Listening, Manual Dexterity, Near Vision, Pulling and/or Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Stooping and Crouching, Walking
Requisition Number 32834
Employment Type PRN
Work Schedule Variable hours
Location Name Univ Neuropsychiatric Inst
Patient Care? No
City SALT LAKE CITY
Department UNI CST 93H EXPRESSIVE THERAPY
Category Behavioral Health
The University of Utah Health Care is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The University of Utah Health Care is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.