The City of Lakewood’s Therapeutic Recreation Department offers an internship experience focused on community-based Therapeutic Recreation services. The intern will assist in providing goal-oriented leisure programs for individuals with disabilities ranging in age from 6 through adult, including but not limited to athletic opportunities, specialty classes, social engagements, community outings, and a summer day-camp. This internship experience will address all NCTRC Job Task Analysis areas through various areas of programming and prepare interns for both the NCTRC Certification Exam as well as entry-level Therapeutic Recreation positions. Note: Interns are hired with the City of Lakewood for minimum wage. Interns are covered by workman’s compensation for on the job injury or illness. Interns are strongly encouraged to carry their own medical and liability insurance. Interns are eligible for mileage reimbursement when using their own vehicles to transport themselves in between sites.
|Company / Organization Name:||City of Lakewood – Therapeutic Recreation Department|
|Position Title:||Therapeutic Recreation Intern|
|Minimum Requirements||• Current senior undergraduate or graduate student in the process of obtaining a degree from an accredited college or university in Therapeutic Recreation, special education, adaptive Physical Education, or a related field and working to complete NCTRC requirements.
• Minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher in Therapeutic Recreation coursework.
• CPR/AED/First Aid Certification
• General understanding of different disabilities and experience working with individuals with disabilities.
• A valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
• Able to drive 15 passenger vans after completing Defensive Driver training and Driver Training with Transportation Coordinator.
• Work cooperatively and have good communication with staff, participants, parents/caregivers, and agencies affiliated with the TR Program.
• Good organizational skills.
• Ability to work effectively with and without direct supervision.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations in a professional manner.
• Ability to plan, develop and implement programs.
• Access to a reliable mode of transportation in order to get to assigned and varying day, evening and weekend work sites.
• For summer interns only (Colorado Child Care Licensing Requirements): Ability to pass a CBI/FBI Background Check, clear the TRAILS registry, provide college transcripts, and must furnish written proof of at least 480 contact hours supervising children up to age 18 (contact hours can be a summation of full or part time work and must come from a previous supervisor on company letter head).
|Application Deadline||January 1-15th, 2019|
|Contact Name:||Shelby Nellis|
|Application Instructions||To apply for a TR Internship, please visit agency.governmentjobs.com
The application process consists of a general application and supplemental questions and will also require the attachment of a cover letter, resume, college transcripts, and two letters of recommendation. Applications will be screened and reviewed for eligibility. Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by email. Please note that applicants must pass a background check prior to being offered a position with the City of Lakewood Therapeutic Recreation program. Summer Interns will be required to complete and pass additional paperwork as mandated by the State of Colorado for Child Care Licensing.
Please contact the Therapeutic Recreation Department at RISE(at)lakewood(dot)org or 303-987-4867 for more information.