Experience your large internship at one of Utah’s premiere research hospitals. The University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute (UNI), offers large internships each semester for students seeking national certification in Therapeutic Recreation. UNI is an acute inpatient and day treatment hospital containing 120 beds and 11 units. The diverse patient population at UNI consists of individuals ranging from early childhood to geriatric who are a danger to themselves or others and are unable to maintain safety in a less restrictive environment. Common problem areas include anger, depression, self-harm, psychosis, detox and autism. The multidisciplinary team consists of highly-qualified doctors, therapists, nursing staff, social workers and expressive therapists. The Expressive Therapy department is responsible for leading 185 groups each week across the hospital.
As a member of the Expressive Therapy department, the Recreation Therapy intern will:
- Prepare for NCTRC certification through assignments and projects.
- Observe and facilitate groups across all units.
- Learn to coordinate care with art therapists, music therapists as well as the multidisciplinary treatment team.
- Apply the Therapeutic Recreation process through assessments, group notes, treatment plan reviews and discharge notes.
- Learn and assist with challenge (ropes) course initiatives.
Unfortunately we do not offer stipends. To arrange a tour and begin the application process, contact John Webb.
|Company / Organization Name:||University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute|
|Position Title:||Recreation Therapy Intern|
|Application Email / Phone / URL:||john(dot)webb(at)hsc(dot)utah(dot)edu; (801) 301-2447|
|Location:||Salt Lake City, Utah|